44th Parliament of Australia Suspensions (Hon Bronwyn Bishop MP vs. Hon Tony Smith MP)
by Shane Granger
As the 45th Parliament comes to an end I was reflecting on what a good job the Honourable Tony Smith MP has done in creating a modicum of order in the chaos of the House of Representatives. Before I could look at the current Parliament I thought it might be worthwhile finalising my data from the previous 44th Parliament (Nov 2013 – May 2016).
Here’s a look at the Top 12 MPs who were suspended according to standing order 94(a) during the 44th Parliament.
The Member for Wakefield, Nick Champion finished the 44th Parliament with the most suspensions (70). He beat his colleague, the Member for Moreton, Graham Perrett (55) with the former Attorney General, Mark Dreyfus coming third (36). The woman most often suspended was the Member for Griffith, Terri Butler with 34 suspensions.
Now to crunch that 45th Parliament data…
- Parliament of Australia. House Hansard. Accessed 2-3rd April 2019.
- Parliament of Australia. Mr Nick Champion MP (Image). Accessed 4th April 2019.
- Parliament of Australia. Ms Terri Butler MP (Image). Accessed 4th April 2019.
- Wikipedia. Bronwyn Bishop (Image). Accessed 3rd April 2019.
- Wikipedia. Tony Smith (Victorian politician) (Image). Accessed 3rd April 2019.