Random Analytica: AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine and cases of Thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome (TTS) by Age Group as at 1 August 2021
by Shane Granger
The Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) has updated its latest safety report. A new death was reported this week, that of a 34-year old woman from NSW. Via the TGA. COVID-19 vaccine weekly safety report – 05-08-2021. Summary:
- To 1 August 2021, approximately 12.4 million vaccine doses have been given in Australia – 8.4 million first doses and 4 million second doses.
- The TGA is continually monitoring the safety of the COVID-10 vaccines. The most frequently reported side effects suspected to be associated with the vaccines reflect what was seen in the clinical trials and include injection-site reactions such as a sore arm, and more general symptoms such as headache, muscle pain, fever and chills.
- We are closely monitoring rare reports of blood clots with low blood platelets (also called thrombosis with thrombocytopenia or TTS) following the AstraZeneca vaccine.
- Three additional cases of blood clots with low blood platelets have been assessed as thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome (TTS) likely to be linked to the AstraZeneca vaccine. When assessed using the United Kingdom (UK) case definition, 2 were confirmed and one was deemed probable TTS. Sadly, a 34-year-old woman from NSW died yesterday from confirmed TTS following a first dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine. The TGA extends its sincerest condolences to her family and loved ones. We are in close communication with NSW health who are undertaking further investigation of this case.
- The TGA is also closely monitoring reports of suspected immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) and Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS) following the AstraZeneca vaccine and reports of myocarditis and pericarditis following the Comirnaty (Pfizer) vaccine.
Getting the AstraZeneca vaccine is a risk. Getting COVID-19 is demonstrably worse and can be fatal. If you can; get vaccinated. Some data points:
With approx. 6.8-million doses administered you are likely to have an adverse reaction to AstraZeneca in approx. every 73,100 doses (+3,100 from the previous week) and a fatal reaction in approx. every 970,000 doses (-80,000 from the previous week). For context Australia has had 35,390-cases and 932-deaths with a Case Fatality Rate of 2.63% (source: Worldometer).
Here are the stories of the seven deaths linked to the AstraZeneca vaccine to date:
1. 48-year old woman from NSW. Posted 16 April 2021 via the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. NSW woman’s fatal blood clotting likely linked to AstraZeneca COVID vaccine, Therapeutic Goods Administration says.
2. A 52-year old woman from NSW. Posted 10 June 2021 via the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA). COVID-19 vaccine weekly safety report – 10-06-2021.
3. A 61-year old woman from WA. Posted 8 July 2021 via the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Death of 61-year-old WA woman last month likely linked to AstraZeneca vaccine.
4. A 72-year old woman from SA. Posted 12 July 2021 via the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. South Australian woman dies from rare blood clots after receiving AstraZeneca vaccine.
5. A 48-year old woman from Victoria. Posted 22 July 2021 via the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. TGA links deaths of 44yo Tasmanian man and 48yo Victorian woman to AstraZeneca vaccine
6. A 44-year old man from Tasmania. Posted 22 July 2021 via the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. TGA links deaths of 44yo Tasmanian man and 48yo Victorian woman to AstraZeneca vaccine
7. A 34-year old woman from NSW. Posted 5 August 2021 via the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. NSW woman, 34, becomes Australia’s seventh AstraZeneca-related death