We were told to not look at the daily case numbers but look at hospitalisations and ICU numbers.
I have been tracking Australian hospitalisations now for six weeks. Over the past month hospitalisations have increased from approximately 500 to 5,047 today (17th January 2022). This far exceeds the worst of the Delta outbreaks experienced in 2021.
A quick comparison between 15th December 2021 and today:
- NSW – 166 on the 15th December 2021, now 2,776
- Victoria – 365, now 1,229
- Queensland – 28, now 702
- South Australia – 2, now 227
- Western Australia – 0, now one
- Tasmania – 0, now 21
- Australian Capital Territory – 3, now 52
- Northern Territory – 0, now 39
- Total – 564 on the 15th December, now 5,047
Anecdotally I am seeing a lot of evidence that State based health systems are struggling with the increased case-loads and the specific needs that Covid-19 patients require (i.e. separating wards as an example).
Omicron continues to surprise.