Random Analytica: AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine and cases of Thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome (TTS) by Age Group as at 8 August 2021
The Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) has updated its latest safety report. Via the TGA. COVID-19 vaccine weekly safety report – 12-08-2021. Summary:
- To 8 August 2021, approximately 13.7 million vaccine doses have been given in Australia – 9.1 million first doses and 4.6 million second doses.
- The TGA is continually monitoring the safety of the COVID-19 vaccines. The most frequently reported side effects suspected to be associated with the vaccines reflect what was seen in the clinical trials and include injection-site reactions such as a sore arm, and more general symptoms such as headache, muscle pain, fever and chills.
- We are closely monitoring rare reports of blood clots with low blood platelets (also called thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome or TTS) which have been found to be linked to the AstraZeneca vaccine. Early detection of this syndrome may help to prevent more serious complications developing and guidance for health professionals is now available(link is external).
- In the last week, an additional 11 reports of blood clots and low blood platelets have been assessed as confirmed or probable TTS. Ten of these were in individuals aged 60 years or over. None of these cases were fatal.
- The protective benefits of vaccination against COVID-19 far outweigh the potential risks of vaccination. Getting the AstraZeneca vaccine is a risk. Getting COVID-19 is demonstrably worse and can be fatal. If you can; get vaccinated. Some data points:
With approx. 7.4-million doses of AstraZeneca administered you are likely to have an adverse reaction in approx. every 71,100 doses (-2,000 from the previous week) and a fatal reaction in approx. every 1,057,000 doses (+87,000 from the previous week). For context Australia has had 37,754-cases and 947-deaths with a Case Fatality Rate of 2.51% (source: Worldometer).
Here are the stories of the seven deaths linked to the AstraZeneca vaccine to date:
1. 48-year old woman from NSW. Posted 16 April 2021 via the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. NSW woman’s fatal blood clotting likely linked to AstraZeneca COVID vaccine, Therapeutic Goods Administration says.
2. A 52-year old woman from NSW. Posted 10 June 2021 via the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA). COVID-19 vaccine weekly safety report – 10-06-2021.
3. A 61-year old woman from WA. Posted 8 July 2021 via the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Death of 61-year-old WA woman last month likely linked to AstraZeneca vaccine.
4. A 72-year old woman from SA. Posted 12 July 2021 via the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. South Australian woman dies from rare blood clots after receiving AstraZeneca vaccine.
5. A 48-year old woman from Victoria. Posted 22 July 2021 via the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. TGA links deaths of 44yo Tasmanian man and 48yo Victorian woman to AstraZeneca vaccine
6. A 44-year old man from Tasmania. Posted 22 July 2021 via the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. TGA links deaths of 44yo Tasmanian man and 48yo Victorian woman to AstraZeneca vaccine
7. A 34-year old woman from NSW. Posted 5 August 2021 via the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. NSW woman, 34, becomes Australia’s seventh AstraZeneca-related death